Wonders Counseling & Consultation is committed to the promotion of and action in support of anti-hate, anti-racism, social justice for all people. This company, the owner Lynn Louise Wonders and all who are employed and contracted by this company strive to maintain focus on issues of power, privilege, and oppression. In these efforts, we are guided by feminist and multicultural principles summarized by Goodman et al. (2004) as a compass for social justice work. These principles are:
- Ongoing self-examination, including ongoing vigilance with respect to power dynamics and the assumptions and values underlying views, goals, and commitments.
- Sharing power, including transparency about power differences, engaging in collaborative processes when appropriate, and fostering the power of marginalized individuals and groups.
- Amplifying and attending to the voices and experiences of marginalized groups and individuals.
- Consciousness raising by attending to how individual or group difficulties may be shaped by political, societal, institutional, interpersonal, and other contextual power dynamics.
- Focusing on people’s strengths and engaging these strengths to address challenges, including working toward social change.
- Promoting self-determination with the people this company works with and serves by developing tools that are informed by the needs and experiences of the constituent communities.
This vision and the principles guide our program and field’s shared responsibility for ongoing efforts to enact our commitment to diversity and social justice in our professional work.