About Distance Counseling
About Distance Counseling. . .
Using HIPAA compliant platforms, both phone and video sessions are available for clients, with residence in the state of GA where I am licensed, who wish to have face to face session at a distance. There are advantages and disadvantages to this kind of therapy and it is a matter of comfort-level of the client. The cost of these sessions and process for registration is the same for phone sessions.
Why Distance Counseling?
In this electronic age we now have technology that assists people in connecting and receiving support services without having to meet face to face in person.
Trained and qualified as a Distance Certified Counselor, I am able to provide therapy for clients with residence in the state of Georgia or living outside of the United States where licensing laws are more lenient.
Reasons to choose distance counseling:
- My services are unique and specialized and may not be provided by another qualified therapist where you live and it’s too far to drive.
- Inability to leave your house due to a health issue or other issues need not stop you from receiving counseling support.
- Easier scheduling. It can be challenging for our schedules to match up for an in-person session but a distance session will work for both of us.
- Distance counseling is more convenient that driving in the metro Atlanta traffic or having to arrange for child-care
- Distance counseling is more affordable for you. I discount my online counseling services because the more clients I see via distance counseling the less my own professional over-head expenses are such as rent, utilities, etc. So, I pass that savings onto you as a distance counseling client.
The Benefits and Advantages of Distance Counseling
- The greatest advantage of online counseling is the convenience. Traditional therapy requires clients come to see me at my office. Sometimes it can be difficult for clients to find way to sync their schedule with mine in order to see me in person. Although an in person therapy session only lasts 50 minutes, the total time may for a client to travel to see me and return to home or work with traffic sometimes may be a couple of hours.
- Online counseling takes place in the comfort of one’s own home on one’s own schedule. With wireless technology, online counseling can take place just about anywhere although I have a policy that clients agree to access their confidential distance sessions with me from a secure setting and a secure internet connection in order to ensure privacy.
- Online counseling is generally less expensive than traditional in-person face-to-face counseling.
- Another significant advantage of online counseling is heightened privacy. There is no risk of running into people you know in a waiting room or entering my offices when we have an online session.
- Individuals who are shy, have social anxieties or have transportation limitations can comfortably access therapeutic intervention via online counseling.
- Some people express themselves much better in writing than they do in person. For such people, online email based counseling offers a perfect avenue for discussing their problems with a professional counselor.
- Online counseling emails can be read and re-read allowing for review weeks or even months after the actual session.
The Disadvantages of Distance Counseling
- Online counseling is void of some visual cues and clues such as posture, gestures and facial expressions which often provide a great deal of information.
- Online counseling is sometimes missing verbal elements such as rate, rhythm, tone, inflections and volume of speech which also provide the counselor with useful information.
- Online counseling requires a computer and Internet access as well as the ability to use a keyboard.
- Online counseling services often require payment in advance for an intangible service from an unknown professional who may not meet the client’s needs. I circumvent this problem by allowing clients to contact me at no charge via my online secure contact form or by telephone for a 10 minute consultation.
- Online counseling cannot address certain issues such as crisis or severe mental illness.
- Online counselors are sometimes unfamiliar with the client’s community and the local resources available.