Essential oils are not oils in the way you think of fatty oils. They do not contain the fatty acids that constitute what we would consider an actual oil. Essential oils are highly concentrated liquid extracted from plants. These oils are the part of the plant that protect the plant from insects, fungus and disease. When grown, harvested and distilled with a very careful method, the healing and aromatic essence of the plant can be used as a natural alternative to many of the chemical laden products we use every day around our homes and for personal use.
Essential oils work on many levels and in many ways to support a regimen of natural health and wellness. The quality of your oils will directly correlate with the benefits you experience.
Here are 5 fascinating factoids about essential oils:
- Many essential oils have antibacterial, anti-fungal, and antiviral properties. This makes them an excellent component to natural home cleaning preparations you can create yourself. Oils that are best for cleaning are: Lemon, grapefruit, eucalyptus, peppermint, tea tree, lavender, and rosemary.
- Recent scientific studies have shown that rosemary essential oil helps your brain perform. Smelling rosemary essential oil helps memory recall and performance on tests.
- Fragrance oils and essential oils are NOT the same thing. As a rule of thumb, if you see the word “fragrance” or “fragrance oil” or even “perfume” on anything, you can assume this is synthetic and NOT natural. (Even if it says natural fragrance.)
- Essential oils has been shown to help people suffering with anxiety and depression and have been shown to improve quality of life for those suffering from other chronic health conditions.
- Essential oils are highly concentrated so one bottle will last you a long time because a tiny amount is all it takes to see benefits. In fact, on the extreme end, it takes 4000 pounds of Bulgarian roses to produce 1 pound of essential oil. Other plants like lavender only take 100 pounds of plant material to produce a pound of essential oil.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease.